Professional liability insurance, also called errors & omissions insurance (E&O) protects your business if you are sued for negligence while performing your services (even if you haven't made a mistake).
What's typically covered?
- Alleged or actual negligence–provides coverage for you or your company against alleged claims of negligent or inadequate work.
- Defense costs–provides legal defense and coverage for judgments and settlements to arise out of such allegation.
- Services performed in the past–can also offer coverage for claims from services provided in the past (depending on your coverage).
Do I need it?
You should consider this coverage if you answer yes to one or some of these questions:
- Do you provide services for a fee?
- Do you regularly give advice?
- Are you required by your clients to carry E&O?
Whether you’re prone to making mistakes or not, let’s face it: We live in a litigious age. You could be sued for something totally unwarranted, yet be stuck paying thousands of dollars defending yourself in a lawsuit anyway.
Depending on your industry, your insurance needs will vary.
How do I get started?
Be as detailed as you can with us so that we can find the right E&O policy for you. You may also want to get together resumes, contracts and financials, as many insurers will request copies. Just keep in mind that the more info you can provide that proves your credibility (i.e. quality control procedures and/or training procedures), the easier it will be for us to get you a good rate.